Posted 21/03/2018 : By: Ictc
We are living in a time when the negative human impact on our plant is highlighted by the media almost daily. Incredible documentaries such as David Attenborough’s Blue Planet 2 underlining the devastating affect our plastic consumption is having on our ecosystem, to a simple viral video of a scuba diver immersed in a sea of plastic. Everyone seems to be making a conscious effort to reduce, reuse, recycle and we want to be part of that movement.
We’ve put together a new “Eco Series”- A collection of blog posts that show you how we’re reducing our impact on the environment along with recipes and top tips for reducing your carbon footprint.
We’re kicking off this series with a tried, tested and much-loved recipe for homemade Almond Milk. A weekly (or more) plastic bottle, being replaced with a recycled glass bottle. Simple, yet effective.
Almonds- 1 Cup
Filtered Water- 1 Litre
Medjool Date (optional for sweetness)- 1
Vanilla Extract (optional for taste) - ½ tsp
You will need the following:
High Speed Blender
Nut Milk Bag
San Miguel Bottle with Stopper- we used The Floral Bottle- 645772 (View more of this range here)
1. First start by soaking your almonds overnight. This helps release the protein inhibitor in the almond skin, making it much easier for your body to absorb the nutrients.
2. Once you’ve soaked your almonds for 12+ hours, drain and rinse well and add them to your high-speed blender, along with the water and if you choose too, the vanilla extract and medjool date.
3. Blend on high for 3 minutes.
4. Place your nut bag over a bowl or large measuring jug and pour the contents of your blender into it.
5. Once as much of the milk has drained into the bowl as possible, gently squeeze your nut bag until you’ve squeezed out any remaining liquid.
6. Transfer the milk into your San Miguel Stopper bottle and store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
We love this recipe, and the we've found the milk can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days. Always give your bottle a good shake first.
Freshly Soaked Almonds
Fresh blended almond milk- after straining through Nut Milk Bag.
The Final product in our recycled Glass Bottle from San Miguel
For more information on the recycled glassware from San Miguel, call 01603 488019 or email email@example.com. You can also view our full brochure of San Miguel here.